Wednesday 27 January 2016

short stories - Identify a story about a plant that becomes conscious and takes over a planet

The original question posted by adamWarner in Mar, 2012:



"Identify a story about a plant that becomes conscious and takes over a planet."



I have been asking essentially that same question (as a google search, and finally on ASK), every few months for ten years! I had read the story in a collection of SF short stories in a paperback I found somewhere while in high school and all I could remember was the basic story line.



I've learned from this site that I wasn't asking the question properly, and I wasn't using the best available resources. More completely, MY question would be: Please help identify a SF short story about a sentient plant that takes over its planet, a space ship arrives and a battle ensues."



It appears Adam got the answer he was looking for, but it wasn't 'my' story. However, using the tips provided here finally led me to the story I have been trying to find for so long. THANK YOU! - For what it may be worth, here's how I got there:



  1. The 'contento' suggestion I found here somewhere would not open the intended site as presented, (I may have miss-copied it), so...


  2. I looked for pieces of it. - 'Contento.net' offered a car insurance quote.(?)


  3. I google searched for: "Index to Science Fiction Anthologies and Collections"


  4. Then clicked on the second choice: "The Locus Index to Science Fiction: Site Directory"


  5. Which took me to this url: http://www.locusmag.com/index/


  6. As I knew it was an older story, (pre-1984), I scrolled down to:



    • Index to Science Fiction Anthologies and Collections.


  7. I hoped I might recognize the title so I went to the 'index listing by title' in alphabetical order, and tried 'P', for the word "Plant", and "The Plant World", by Roger Lee Vernon, jumped out at me. It is from a volume of his short stories entitled, "The Space Frontiers", published by Signet in 1955.


  8. When I clicked on the title it brought up a picture of the cover and I knew that was it!


  9. Ordered a $4.00 used copy from Amazon.


If you are trying to identify a story, I can certainly recommend, "http://www.locusmag.com/index/", as a place to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment