Sunday 27 December 2015

grammar - stative verbs as gerunds

Stative verbs are used in the gerund form as second verbs, not in continuous tenses.



I love knowing that I've helped someone understand a point in English.



When two verbs are together, depending on the first verb, the second verb might be in the full or bare infinitive, a gerund, or to + gerund.



I want to believe it's true.



Let me believe in you, if no one else will.



I love knowing I've helped someone.



I look forward to understanding computers better, with your help.



Stative verbs as gerunds can start a sentence.



Believing in yourself is necessary to succeed in life.



From the source http://www.myenglishteacher.net/gerunds.html :



"Even stative verbs (those verbs that almost never have -ing) can be turned into gerunds. A native speaker of English would NEVER say I am believing you. However, a native speaker could say"



"Believing in God is important."



"Believing, here, is a gerund. It is NOT a verb. Believing in God is a gerund phrase."



http://www.myenglishteacher.net/gerunds.html



To qualify the source, because of a comment made, being a native speaker of English is no guarantee that the language will be used correctly. The obvious implication of the statement in the quote is a native speaker who speaks educated English.



Note: Some so-called stative verbs can be used in a continuous tense, but with a different meaning. For example: I see you now. I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment