Friday 25 December 2015

grammar - Is it grammatically correct to say "I wanted to please connect with you"

The sentence does sound a bit odd to my ears, I think it's the verb "connect with " that bothers me the most. If someone invited me to connect with him or her, I'd hesitate before accepting. Nevertheless, between two men, and in the right context I'm sure the request would be viewed as an attempt to be friendly and polite.



In view of the OP's second edit may I suggest the following adjustments;
rather than use the term connect, which @starplusplus pointed out may be misconstrued, I'd use the word contact which Google defines as:




v. Communicate with (someone), typically in order to give or receive specific information.




You contact someone via e-mail, on Facebook, on any social network



In addition, it sounds more idiomatic and natural to say:
Could I contact you on...? I'd like to contact you... May I contact you on...?



The following expressions are less formulaic and friendlier:
How/What about if I contacted you on... ? Is it OK if I contacted you on... ? I'd really appreciate contacting you on... ; Lets contact each other on...



However, if you prefer to maintain a certain distance and formality try this solution:




Would you mind if I contacted you via/on [name of social network]?


No comments:

Post a Comment