Tuesday 5 April 2016

A word/phrase to describe implicit expectations between people

I guess the word by trying to think back in my own mother tongue (Thai). With a bit of help of some dictionaries, I believe this word might be what you're looking for:




confidant
a person with whom one shares a secret or private matter, trusting them not to repeat it to others.




Some other words that come close, in my opinion, are acquaintance, intimate, and a common term such as close friend.



The reason that I prefer these terms over Samaritan and neighbourliness is that though they are quite close, they emphasize the sense of helping (each other) out, which might be correct, according to your suggestion. However, considering that the word renqing (人情) hints the sense of human or humane (I'm not very sure on this), and 在 hints the sense of "in", I would like offer the word confidant. (But I might be totally wrong, since I'm guessing Chinese words.)

No comments:

Post a Comment