Saturday 23 April 2016

In Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, why do the students want his attention?

Ok, so I'm moving my research out of my question and placing it in an answer.



The joke here is that, while Indy is an accomplished "adventurer", he's not so good at being a professor -- at with least the clerical aspects of the job.



His secretary, Irene, says:



                     IRENE
Dr. Jones, I'm SO glad you're back.
Your mail is on your desk. Here are
your phone messages. This is your
appointment schedule. And these term
papers *still* haven't been graded!


Back at school, Indy is immediately overwhelmed with paperwork. What's more, I looked at the original script, by Jeffrey Boam, and I discovered the following:



Students once again CLAMOR for his attention: 
"Doctor Jones!" "Wait, Doctor Jones!" "My grade!" "My term paper!"


It's clear that Indy sees his job as a bit of a chore, and so actively avoids grading his students' work, or giving them the feedback they need. It seems he'd rather be adventuring and so neglects his duties as a member of staff at the college.



Instead of dealing with his irate students, he makes up a ridiculous scheme (whereby poor Irene has to try and decide who should be seen first) and then jumps out his office window.

No comments:

Post a Comment