Saturday 27 February 2016

meaning - what do "for a time" and "backtrack" mean in this specific sentence

In a paper of Scientific American, there is a sentence as follows




Einstein understood early on that they [the gravitational waves] were implied by his theory but for a time backtracked from his original, correct claims for their existence.




I understand the first sentence: "Einstein understood early on that they [the black holes] were implied by his theory", and I think the meaning of the rest should be "but for a time, they were backtracked from his original, correct claims for their existence".



However, I don't understand the meaning of the phrase "but for a time" and "backtrack", therefore I can't understand the whole sentence.



Please explain to me.



English is not my native language, so I beg your pardons for my poor one.



Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment