Tuesday 29 March 2016

indian english - What's the Australian or British way to say 'Ticket collector'?

I would say "ticket collector", and I'm a native speaker of British English.



The British National Corpus seems to be consistent with my idiolect, with 31 hits for ticket collector(s)*. JLG mentioned ticket taker(s), which sounds completely off to me and doesn't appear in BNC at all. Various people have mentioned conductor: there are 3 for conductor in close proximity (4 words either way) to ticket, but a conductor is someone who comes round on a bus or train to sell you the ticket - i.e. they collect money rather than tickets.



I can't speak to Australian English, and I don't know a suitable corpus to conduct research on it.



* Search term ticket [collector] via this web interface

No comments:

Post a Comment