Thursday 31 March 2016

word usage - "Quite" American vs British English

I (UK) use quite a to qualify magnitude in two simple but contradictory ways (so British!) depending on emphasis -



There were quite a few people there (i.e. there were more people than expected).



There were quite a few people there (i.e. you are (tactfully) suggesting that the turnout was disappointing).



I also use quite to underline the intensity of extreme adjectives -



He was quite the best pianist I have heard;



the jugglers were quite fantastic;



quite extraordinary, the way he behaved ...



The second example in the OP ...quite 50 people ... is close to my second usage, although this way of using quite (with numbers) sounds dated to my ears. Nevertheless the meaning is clear - there were easily 50 people and possibly quite a few more.

No comments:

Post a Comment