Wednesday 23 March 2016

Meaning of word "ford" in combination with "hurdle"


First and foremost I'm not from an English speaking country hence the question.




When reading Wikipedia's article about Dublin it says that the meaning of original Irish name for Dublin is town of the hurdled ford. I know what town is, I also know what hurdle is, but to the best of my ability I really don't know what a ford is. Could this be a spelling mistake and it should say fort instead?



Please help me clear the original meaning out?



Edit



...after getting the ford definition



After checking dictionary meaning of word ford I get the meaning of it that it's a shallow river passage. But then again hurdle and ford somewhat contradict each other. If a shallow section of a river is hurdled it can't be a ford any more, can it?

No comments:

Post a Comment